Monday, April 15, 2013

3 months out and a bit of self-doubt


I had a bit of a moment last week where I realised the Marathon is only 3 months away.  That means I need to really start ramping up the long runs, because I need to reach about 36km, approximately 3 weeks before the big day.

I feel like that's really crept up on my, so I realised it's time to knuckle down and get more structure into my training.  I needed a long run on the weekend, so Dean & I sorted out babysitters and set out for a 22km run along the waterfront at Sandgate.

Dean started the run not feeling great and he struggled to find a rhythm.  He ended up stopping after 11km and heading home, which was definitely the smart thing to do.  It's important to listen to your body - there's no point pushing yourself way past your limit and then ending up sick or injured, and having a much bigger setback.

I stuck it out and managed the whole 22km - which is actually the furtherest I've ever run.  I felt okay, except for the last 3km or so.  I really hit a wall at that point and had lots of self-doubt running through my head.  In those last couple of kilometres, I was telling myself I didn't want to do a marathon anymore.  I even thought about what injury I could fake so I could pull out!

Not the best thought process!  So I got a little mantra in my head and said it over and over until I finished (good posture, good breathing, you're in good form).  That helped.  I did the run in 2:01:00, which was my aim, so I was happy.

I made some mistakes in the run though, and even though I was absolutely exhausted from it, I felt like it was a win, because I learnt some things and have some strategies going into the next run.

Lesson 1:
As much as possible, I need to try and run in the early morning or late afternoon!  We went at 12:30pm on a sunny, 25 degree day. HOT!!!

Lesson 2:
I need to fuel my body properly.  I've never really been one to eat or drink much over a 2 hour run, because my stomach just doesn't feel like it.  When I hit the wall at 19km, my body was screaming out that it needed energy.  Next time, I'll definitely be consuming something at the one hour mark.

Lesson 3:
Put bandaids on my feet!  I have a spot where I keep getting blisters - must cover them up!

Lesson 4:
I do not have time or room for any negative self-talk - just don't do it!

Of course, I didn't mean it when I said I wanted to pull out of the marathon.  By the next day, I was motivated again!  This morning I did my first group training session as part of Intraining's Marathon School and LOVED it (more on that to come!)  It was wonderful to train with a group and I pushed myself so much further than if I'd been running alone.  I did 6 x 800metres fast, with 200m recovery.  It was HARD but speed training is one thing I've not been doing much of, so it was a welcome change (especially being without the pram, yay!)

So, 3 months to go and I feel on track.  The hard part is scheduling in long runs amidst busy weekends and babysitters.  It's definitely been a learning week, so I'm looking forward to getting back out there a little bit wiser and fitter!


No comments:

Post a Comment